Friday, February 21, 2014

Go Make Some Tacos!

After watching Turbo, the movie about a snail that could race with super cars, I got really excited about Tacos (the main character that adopted Turbo sells Tacos with his brother). I vividly remember Jodi made it once for me to try back in Perth but I seriously can't remember what's in there. 
So I googled up for some taco recipes and mix-and-match them to make this super easy beef tacos for dinner!

For the Salsa, I pretty much followed Jamie Oliver's super simple recipe. What you need:
One large or two small tomatoes roughly chopped, sliced one whole onion, chopped coriander, 1/2 lemon juice.

What to do:
1) Put all ingredients into a bowl.
2) Squeeze the lemon juice onto the ingredients (I added more of the lemon juice for an extra kick).
3) Mix everything up and you are done! You can keep it cool in the fridge for a few hours if you want to.

For the Guacamole, I choose the simplest recipe with minimal use of ingredients. This particular method is the fastest one where you can make with the simplest cutlery available! So what you need are:
One large avocado, juice for quarter of a lemon, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste

What to do:
1) On a chopping board, cut the avocado into cubes.
2) Mash the avocado with a fork (for bigger portion you may use a food processor) until the way you prefer it to me. Mine was still a little bit chunky but you can go on and make it smoother. Some even add cream but I went for the healthier version. :p
3) Now add in the garlic powder (oh I love the taste of it) and salt and paper to taste. Squeeze the lemon juice onto the mash avocado. Stir well and you are done! Chill in the fridge if you want to! 

For the beef filling, what you need are:
Some chopped red onions, chopped garlic, chopped green capsicum, minced beef, a small can of tomato puree, ground cumin, paprika, salt and pepper to taste

What to do:
1) Simmer the garlic and onions in a pan.

2) Until they turn a little brownish, add in the capsicum. 
3) Fry until they turn a little soft, then add in the beef. 
4) Add in enough salt, pepper, paprika and ground cumin to taste. Stir them up. 
5) As the beef cooked, add in the tomato puree.
6) Stir them all up and cover lit to let it boil for about 15 minutes or until the gravy is reduced. 
7) Transfer into a bowl or plate once it's cooked.:)

As for the Taco shells, you can easily find them in the supermarket, normally at the same isle as the breads. All you need to do is just heat them up a little bit in an oven.

Once everything is done, it's dinner time! :D
Arranged the beef, Guacamole, Salsa then some chopped lettuce and some shredded cheese (I found mine that is specifically for Taco), topped with some chopped spring onion and you are done! 
Don't get greedy or it will make the taco overloaded and messy!!! 
I know the number of ingredients needed to make this whole recipe sounds so complicated and fussy, but the reality is, they are all super easy to make. You spend like five minutes each to make the Salsa and Guacamole and just slightly longer time to cook the beef~! 
The best thing is, it turned out to be very yummy! The beef was flavourful and juicy while the Salsa gives it a little sour and refreshing kick while the lettuce just sort of balance up the nutrition department of the dish. And I know beef aren't that healthy but the dish really makes a good light dinner, we didn't feel too full eating like 6 tacos each! LOL! Deardo actually suggested the next time we should use minced pork in stead. 

Just in case, if you are wondering why isn't there Guacamole in my tacos? That's because my avocado wasn't ripe enough yet when I made this but I manage to make it days after to go with another home-cooked dinner.
Char Siew Chicken with Sesame Seeds Served with Nando's Inspired Spinach, Fluffy Scrambled Eggs with Cheese and a Scoop of Chunky Guacamole.
I love the Guacamole and because it is so easy to make, I think I'm going to make it quite often just to go with the simplest thing like crackers or bread! :)

So are you ready to make some tacos too??? *wink~*

No comments: