I love making roast chicken because it saves me the fuss of stir-frying, cleaning up the oil stains around the stove (sometimes even the floor!) and you can do some other work while the chicken is cooking in the oven . Basically it's the best methods of cooking for lazy people. Plus, Deardo loves roast chicken heaps! :)
I have a usual way of roasting my chicken, but I can't be doing the same all the time right? So I got some new ideas while strolling past the herbs isle at the supermarket the other day. And the result? Shirlexia's Cajun Chicken it is!
1) I used drumsticks this time around, and cut three lines on each of them just so my seasoning can be absorbed faster.
2) Rub some salt over each piece of the chicken to taste, just some.
3) Pour some olive oil over the chicken.
4) Squeeze some lemon over the chicken (I used half a lemon for five drumsticks).
5) Now sprinkle sufficient amount of Cajun Seasoning onto the chicken pieces. Remember to rub them over the chicken pieces evenly too. You can go according to your preferences. If you like it spicy you can go all out with the Cajun.
6) Next, sprinkle some parsley over the chicken (I got the dried one in stead of the fresh one nowadays because I figured it not only saves me the cutting and washing, it also won't spoil so soon because I never get to finish using the fresh ones and they will just go bad in the fridge).
7) Leave the chicken in the fridge for at least two hours.
8) Pre-heat your oven for about 10 minutes, before sending your chicken into the oven and let it roast for 20 minutes (as you can see in the picture, I added some broccoli and sweet corn as side dish).
9) And yes, you are done!
It was another success I must say! Unlike my usual roast chicken, the Cajun Chicken actually gives a refreshing wake to our taste buds. The Cajun obviously made the chicken a little spicy but the lemon added such a good kick into the dish, especially when you try dipping the chicken with the gravy on the baking tray! Oooooh... The spicy and sour combination simply made us go crazy! We love it! And since there is whole bottle of Cajun Seasoning in the cupboard now, I foresee more of this Cajun Chicken whenever we feel like we want a carb-free dinner!
You might want to try this at home too! :)