Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Dinner the Old School Way @ Sek Yuen Restaurant

Few months back after cousin Sin Fei's wedding, she and Ivan and the families had a thank you a.k.a farewell dinner for some family members before they flew back to Perth. Yea I know right? This is so extremely outdated! :S
Anywayz, before I open my mouth open my claws and type about how work and other commitments have taken up my blogging time, let's move on to the happier note of having free dinner at Sek Yuen Restaurant, a restaurant that I heard is about 60 plus years old! And sadly, I have not even heard of them before! What a terrible food lover am I? Gah...
The entire restaurant looks damn old school! I can imagine this is the kind of restaurant my parent had their wedding banquet at, all the neon lights, old school staircase and old school tables and chairs! Even their staff are middle-aged poeple! They all suddenly look so cute to me! 
I was very fascinated by the staircase and chairs!
Since it was a free dinner, all dishes were pre-ordered so we just basically came all the way to Pudu to wallup all the food! :)
Five Happiness to start the dinner with.
Very different looking shark fin soup.
Roast Duck.
Stir-fried Kailan with Sang Cheong (Intestines).
Sweet & Sour Pork for the ang mo-ish Ivan. Ha! 
Some chicken.
Steamed fish with ginger. 
Stir-fried Yao Mak that Deardo can make better one. 
The Five Happiness comes in an old school way, or at least that was what Sin Fei's FIL said. Supposedly not many restaurants out there nowadays make the Five Happiness entirely a cold plate. So yes something different and I must say, quite delicious too. The Shark Fin Soup here is also very interesting as I've never seen any shark fin soup looking and tasting like the one at Sek Yuen before this. In stead of a clear or slightly dark coloured soup, this one is in white like it is mix with milk! Well, whatever colour it is, it tastes fantastic! In fact, I think that was the best shark fin soup I've ever tried in my life! Think about how the best shark fin soup can be found in a not-so-5-star looking restaurant! 
My other favourite dish of the night has to be the Stir-Fried Kailan with Intestines (Sang Cheong). Forgive me if I'm being Suaku but that was the first time I've seen anything like that and it is freaking yummy! Love how the intestines tastes so crunchy yet you can feel they were all cleaned throughout! Yummy and unforgettable!!! 
Nop, the one at the right isn't Papo! 
The roast duck and Sweet and Sour Pork were pretty good too but the rest of the dishes were just average. 
I obviously didn't pay for the meal so I don't know how much was the meal but I must say I really enjoyed the meal a lot! The entire old school atmosphere and the very interesting yet home-cooked style of cooking really made the whole experience a cool one! If it is not the parking problem, I think I would love to go back to Sek Yuen soon to try their other dishes too! :)
Just to proof I was there! 

Sek Yuen Restaurant
No. 313-1 & 315,
Jalan Pudu,
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-9222 9457, 9222 9457

2 comments:

WCL said...

the rest were good and special...

didnt like the yao mak tho... too watery... my "anality".. :D

ShiRLeXia said...

I know you can do better than that!