Thursday, April 16, 2015

So What's all the Fuss about? @ Tim Ho Wan, Mid Valley

I'm sure by now I'm considered the very outdated one to have tried the latest and most talked-about Dim Sum brand to arrive in Malaysia all the way from Hong Kong - the famed Michelin Stared Tim Ho Wan.
The queue is still crazy on weekend mornings but the family-in-laws and I managed to wait for about 30 minutes for a table on a Sunday morning. So phew~! But if you are a little late please do expect longer queue!
The queue when we arrived on a Sunday morning around 9ish.
The queue later one when we were already having our food.
So, I've heard of good and bad reviews where I think the bad reviews are from people who have too high an expectation on them. I mean, you can't blame them, Dim Sums from Hong Kong? Sure nice one right? And with a restaurant that has a Michelin Star, you just couldn't help but to expect the best!

Personally, I find certain dishes in their menu like super duperly awesomely delicious but there are also some that were total letdown. So to makes things easier, here are my list of 'must eat' at Tim Ho Wan (not in particular orders):
The Glutinous Rice In Lotus Leaf doesn't look very promising when you first open it up, but once you reach the fillings where the hot gravy from the pork mixture oozes out and mixes with the rice... Oh man, that awesome flavour just makes you keep digging for more of it! Big big love for this one!
The Baked Bun with BBQ Pork is Tim Ho Wan's signature dish so really, even if I say I hate it you should still give it a try. LOL! In fact, I don't hate it at all! While the filling isn't that impressive, the unique skin does make a lot of difference here - Crunchy and a little sweet on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Very nice, indeed!
Then the Pan Fried Carrot Cake, which is to me, one of its kind. The very nice texture from real radish (you can actually see the strips of radish if you cut it) makes it not so artificial while the ham in it added a chewy texture to the dish too. Very yummy!
Steamed Rice with Chicken, Sausage & Mushroom is perhaps a very common dish you can find anywhere else in town but to me, this one here wins big because of the uber tender chicken and sausages and the gravy that they pour into it before serving you at the table. Very nicely done! :)
At first glance, the Pork Ribs with Black Bean Sauce looks really just the ordinary pork ribs you can find in any other Dim Sum places but once you grab a bite of the pork ribs you'll know it's crazily different! I have no idea what they did to make those ribs so tender it kinda melt in your mouth and it really reminds me of the one I had in Hong Kong years ago! Plus, that gravy OMG so yummey FIL couldn't stop dipping the Fried Carrot Cake into it to eat! That was the only dish we ordered another one so you know, this is really in the top of our favourite list yo!
Save your stomach for some awesome dessert as you dig into the refreshing Mango Sago Pamelo! Thick Mango gravy with sago, pamelo of small bits of mango sounds good to you? Oh yea it sounds and tastes good to me! Sweet but not too sweet and just the right dessert to finish up your meal! Love it!!!

And here are the other dishes we tried which I find them either not too bad, mediocre or worse.
Supposed to have three pieces la but people were too fast before I could snap a pic! This Bean Curd Skin Roll with Shrimp aren't too bad actually, just not fantastic. 
We had both the Char Siew and Shrimps Chee Cheong Fun, which I don't think are the best I've had.
The Pork Dumpling with Shrimp (Siu Mai) are okay too, just also not the best I've had so far.
The Prawn Dumplings (Har Gao) too, despite having very fresh prawns, failed in terms of the very important Har Gao skin.
Then comes the Tonic Medlar & Osmanthus Cake (I'm not even sure are those English but anyway, this is the 'Guai Fa Gou' la). I'll just say it didn't really impress me.
I didn't actually try the Congee with Lean Pork, Century Egg & Salted Egg cos it was mainly for Jolie but at RM10.50, I honestly think the portion is waaaaaaaaaay too small.
Our breakfast that day cost us slightly over RM200 (that was before GST and without the Steamed Rice), which I think wasn't too bad, it'll probably cost the same in several other Dim Sum places in KL. We went back twice after that on weekday nights and there were no queue so if you don't find eating Dim Sum as dinner weird (which we obviously don't), it's better to go at night to skip the queue.

Here's the latest menu with their prices which is quite confusing cos it's GST included but it will appear to be different in your bill with the GST being calculated later on a total that includes the 10% service charge, the price for each item become totally different. So let's just say the prices here are just for your rough reference.
So, what's my verdict? I agree food are a little overpriced, but really not too much difference also compared to other Dim Sum places I know. So I won't really fuss about that. Food wise, you just need to know what to order cos there are some really good ones but there are also some that I can't even say they are good, especially at a Michelin Star level. I do hope they expand their menu though - with that one-pager menu and after cutting down the non-favourites, we are often left with only a few choices to order. Why can't they bring in the beef brisket/stomach??? I miss that at Hong Kong Dim Sum in Hong Kong and Perth the most! Anyway, we have gone back twice since the first visit, so I guess that explains we kinda like the food there! :)

Tim Ho Wan
27-G, Ground Floor,
The Boulevard,
Mid Valley City

No comments: