Saturday, April 2, 2011

Childhood memory lunch @ Thean Chun, Ipoh

On the way back to Taiping from Cameron Highlands, Deardo and I decided to have lunch in Ipoh. Well, it could be the typical Dim Sum, but in the end I made the decision to go to Thean Chun Kopitiam for something that I've been missing for some years now.
Thean Chun or in Chinese 天津is a place where my Ah Gong (late Grandpa) used to bring us there for their famous Ipoh Chicken Hor Fun and their unforgettable Creme Castard 炖蛋. Many thanks to the GPS, we managed to find the kopitiam located at Jalan Bandar Timah easily.Unlike those days, the shop has got more choices of food now. They have popiah, beef noodles, Chee Cheong Fun and even pork and pork innards satay! But I made sure I ordered the Chicken Hor Fun that I've missed for such a long time! The still very old-school-looking kopitiam with some old folks working as waiters and waitresses... And me waiting excitedly for my food!
Bring on the REAL Ipoh Chicken Hor Fun baby~!
Our small plate of Tau Geh.
Well, my verdict? So-so only really. But! I must admit the REAL Ipoh Hor Fun is anyhow tastier than those you find in either KL or Taiping! The thin Hor Fun, the slightly spicy soup and the prawns make such a big difference! The Tau Geh were nicely cooked but then not anything fantastic lar.MY FAVOURITE OF ALL!!!
Now... Although the Hor Fun didn't really amazed me much, the Creme Castard 炖蛋 was absolutely to-die-for!!! So creamy and fresh, while the sweetness also just nice! Yumzzz... Couldn't help but ta pao-ed two of them home! :p Honestly, I've tried this dessert in other kopitiam in Ipoh but the one at Thean Chun is so far THE BEST!!! Remember, these comments come from Shirlexia, who isn't a fan of sweet stuff!
The two bowls of big noodles and tau geh cost us RM12, which is very reasonable while the Creme Castard is RM2.20 each.
Wouldn't mind going back again for that yummy Creme Castard~! :)

6 comments:

Hayley said...

Wow,the creme custard looks really tempting!

ShiRLeXia said...

It's a must to have at that Kopitiam!!!

LayJinG said...

Oh... I miss 炖蛋! long time didnt makan liao!

ShiRLeXia said...

You tried that before???

rainbow mushroom said...

*saliva dripping* the custard always sold out lor...

ShiRLeXia said...

Yea meh? Then I must be damn lucky! I got takeaway somemore!