Sunday, May 25, 2014

Japanese Dinner @ Hanazen, Jaya One

We were at Jaya One one evening after work to celebrate something he achieved at work when we decided to give Hanazen a try (Deardo has been there and love the food).
Stole this from Malaysia Most Wanted's site as we forgot to take a picture of the entrance.
To be honest, the restaurant doesn't have the best atmosphere, operating very casually I believe by a family or at least mother and son with lack of properly trained staff. I was in doubt at first but half way through dinner I saw the said 'son' started to cut up a lot of Sashimi for some regular customers (I'm assuming), I knew there must be some quality in the restaurant.
We didn't order Sashimi that night though. Here are what we had...
Sake Kawa, RM8.
Unagi Yanagawa, RM35.
Mentaiko Ochazuke, RM18.
The Sake Kawa here is probably the best salmon skins that I've ever tried so far. They tasted extremely fresh, smell great and were crunchy like keropok! The colour of the dish also shows that the oil they used must be clean! Thumb-up! :) The Unagi Yanagawa was a bit of a let down though. The Unagi was pretty fresh but the crazy amount of onion were a bit too much. Don't get me wrong, I love onion but this is way too much. I also went adventurous ordering the Ochazuke, something completely new to me. It's rice with green tea soup and I chose to go with Mentaiko (Spicy Cod Roe). It also comes with some condiments which I'm not sure what are them. While it tasted quite unique, the Mentaiko are too salty to my liking.
Deardo had his usual Salmon Teppanyaki Set (RM35) and a Sake Kabuto Shio (RM18), which we forgot to snap pictures of) but they are both quite satisfying.
Us enjoying our Japanese dinner!!! :)
Including service charge and tax, the bill came up to RM132.25. Definitely not the cheapest meal but the dishes we ordered were of course not the cheapest ones. In my opinion, there are nice dishes here but there are some that are no-no. Next time around, I'll make sure I order some of those fresh-looking Sashimi!

Hanazen Japanese Restaurant
43-G, Block C, Jaya One,
72A, Jalan Universiti,
46200 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Tel: 03-7954 8000

2 comments:

Hayley said...

That's quite a lot of food!

You both really know how to enjoy life! Good! ;)

ShiRLeXia said...

It was to celebrate something mah!