Monday, May 19, 2014

My Take on the Bacon & Broccoli Pasta @ Bonjour Garden

I know I haven't blog about Bonjour Garden and that's because I haven't officially been there to try their food properly. But I was there for work once and was sharing this beautiful-looking Bacon & Broccoli Pasta with the boss and the colleague. The pasta turned out to be pretty awesome! It's quite a simple dish, almost like a Japanese version of Aglio Olio, which gives the dish a really nice twist!
The original dish at Bonjour Garden.
So I went on to the supermarket and bought myself a Nanami Togarashi/Shichimi (the small little bottle of Japanese chili powder you normally see in a Japanese restaurant) but gave up the meat and cooked ourselves a vegetarian version of the pasta!

Here's what you need: 
Spaghetti (preferably of vermicelli), plenty of chopped garlic, Nanami Togarashi/Shichimi, vegetables of your choice, salt and pepper to taste.

What to do:
1) Well if you are using broccoli and mushrooms, like me, boiled them till they are cooked. Drain and set aside.
2) Boil the pasta till al dente in oil and salt. Remember to leave some water with the pasta when you drain them off. 
3) Now in a pan, simmer the garlic in pre-heated olive oil.  
4) As they start to turn brownish, pour the pasta into the pan. Stir them up a little.
5) Now add the broccoli and mushrooms and stir well.
6) Quickly add in Nanami Togarashi/Shichimi according to your preferred spiciness. Then some salt and pepper to taste.
7) Oh and I added some baby spinach in the end, which needs very little cooking. And we are ready to serve the dish! 

It was surprisingly good!!! Although we made it a vegetarian dish, the unique taste and aroma that the chili powder offers to the dish is really something new and delicious! 
Deardo and I love it so much that we cooked it again the next day, this time with some grilled zucchini, capsicum, mushroom and baby spinach and it tasted even better! :D
So there, just another option for those of you who are sick of the usual pasta flavours! *wink~*

4 comments:

Hayley said...

Very creative invention!!

ShiRLeXia said...

LOL! I like the word invention!

Yannie said...

Looks great. My two girls love pasta, I must try this recipe one day.

ShiRLeXia said...

Thanks Yan! Well I hope they can take a bit of spiciness! :)