Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Director: Marc Webb
Cast: Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Dane DeHaan
Synopsis: In a sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man (which I watched very much later and thought it wasn't amazing at all and didn't bother blogging about it), Peter Parker/Spider-Man faces villains like Electro and his best friend Harry Osborn a.k.a the Green Goblin, while dealing with his identity, his parent's past and his love life all at the same time.
The Thumb-Up(s): While I like how Emma Stone (I'm a big fan, by the way) interpreted Gwen Stacy as such a cool and smart character, I thought the stars of the movie were the villains - Jamie Foxx and Dane DeHaan.
Jamie Foxx, an experienced and award-winning actor, as expected, played Max with a flawless performance. I just wish that Max's story was longer because as he becomes Electro it all becomes just CG and no acting, if you get what I mean. Dane DeHaan on the other hand, is completely new to me. Without I doubt, I think as Harry Osborn/Green Goblin, he looks way too young and small, and lacks the character that James Franco had put into the character. He however, surprised me with his rather solid acting! Aaaah, you know I always fall for the villains! :p
I also really love how the love story between Peter and Gwen was made so real and touching, without being too cheesy. That I have to admit, was way better than what we saw in Spider-Man with the then Peter Parker and Mary Jane.
The Thumb-Down(s): Well the last line above says quite a lot about the movie. Turns out this is more of a lovely romantic movie rather than a superhero movie! So watch this you romantic movies fans!
It also feels like the movie has too much stuff in it. Actions, two and more villains to fight off, love story, the parent storyline... And the part where Peter finally found out that his dad wasn't a bad guy after all is quite unnecessary because then it doesn't make any difference in the entire movie! I mean, we would have thought there might be new research found or something that may make a difference to the storyline!
Even in a heated superhero-villain fight, there were so much to focus on I couldn't pay attention to the otherwise forgettable actions. Like when Spider-Man vs Electro, I was more concern with the two planes that were colliding (in which Spider-Man wasn't free to rescue, of course) and when Spider-Man vs Green Goblin, I was more concern about Gwen's safety! 
Andrew Garfield's performance was again, forgettable, compared to the emotion and acting Tobey Maguire has brought to the character.
The Verdict: Like the first The Amazing Spider-Man, the movie failed to deliver what it originally represents - an action-packed movie. Instead, it bores its audience out half way through the movie with some slow paced storyline that can be totally skipped. 
2 out of 5

4 comments:

Hayley said...

Not intended to watch this, I just feel Spider Man without Tobey Maguire and Kristen Dunst is too dull!

ShiRLeXia said...

Well I also prefer Tobey Maguire!!!
I went because the hubby wanted to watch lar. :p

Yannie said...

I like this new Spidy more. I like Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield very much. They are indeed well matched. I find the movie very romantic and I enjoy this movie very much. Too bad that Gwen died in the end.

ShiRLeXia said...

I do prefer Emma Stone, but not Andrew Garfield lar... :P

And yes for some the love story is really good but for most guys who went to watch a superhero they will be disappointed...