Wednesday, May 21, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past

[SPOILER AHEAD!!!]
Was lucky enough to win tickets from Hot magazine to be one of the group of people who got to watch the movie two days before it officially start showing in cinemas. So to those who don't want to know details of the movie, kindly please skip this entry! :p

Director: Bryan Singer
Cast: Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, Nicholas Hoult
Synopsis: In a sequel to X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men: First Class, the movie sees Wolverine being sent back to 1973 to stop Mystique from killing Bolivar Trask, who started the Sentinel Programme.
The Thumb-Up(s): To many it may sound a bit forceful to have a turn back time storyline, but to me it's quite a fresh and interesting idea to an otherwise normal and boring superhero sequel. To top that up, the movie has a decent scenes of mutants showcasing their special abilities that are truly entertaining (especially Pietro/Quicksilver, how I wish he would stay on for the rest of the movie! He is freaking fun to watch) and also some very decent sentimental stories that are despite a bit draggy, manage to attract my attention. I also love how towards the end of the movie the mutants at 'current' time and in 1973 both fighting for their lives, making you crouch yourself on your seat!
One thing I also appreciate a lot is the movie manged to pull a lot of good acting out of the cast, instead of just good looks and good actions. Most superhero fans may not agree but to me movies can only be good with good acting. James McAvoy especially, impressed me a lot in the movie!
The Thumb-Down(s): Urm... Don't be fooled by the poster because the likes of Fan Bing Bing, Halle Berry and Allen Page only appeared for a good few minutes in the entire movie. Even Wolverine didn't have much chances to show his 'talent'. Honestly, I don't see it as a big problem anyway because too many chefs spoil the soup but to those who are looking forward to see a lot of them, be prepared to be disappointed.
The Verdict: This is only my second X-Men movie and I think the movie impressed me in terms of storyline, lovely cast and some pretty good acting. It's just a really cool movie! Of course, my other half is strongly against the entire storyline and he is a person who have watched the movie series from the beginning. So we have very extreme opinions towards the movie. You'll have to watch it and tell me what you think!
4 out of 5 

4 comments:

LayJinG said...

Oh cool! Can't wait for it! haha...

ShiRLeXia said...

I think you will like it, like I did! :)

Hayley said...

I am not a fan of X Men, din't watch any previous installments also, hehe :p
But, I do like Hugh Jackman!!

ShiRLeXia said...

Hi Hayley! Me too! I watched this one cos I love a lot of the actors in it - Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult!