Monday, July 25, 2011

Stuffed Chicken Served with Vegetables Couscous and Special Gravy

Cooked this dish as Mamo's birthday meal during my last trip home. Of course, the rest of the family also had the luxury of trying my very first attempt of this fancy-looking dish!


Inspired by a recent cooking competition that I was partly involved in, I took the basic idea of stuff chicken breast but I chose my own ingredients for the stuffing and made my own innovative (cheh wah...) side and gravy.
So here we go...

For the chicken breast:
1. Lay the chicken breast on a chopping block, with a cling wrap on top of each of them, give them some punches with the kitchen hammer (those to crush ice), or if you don't have that like me, just use the blunt side of your knife. This step is to flatten and soften the meat.
2. Spread salt and coarse black pepper over the chicken pieces. Set aside.

For the Stuffing:
1. Simmer some chopped onion over some hot oil in a frying pan.
2. As the onion turn brownish, add in chopped fresh button and Shitake mushrooms.
3. Sprinkle salt and mixed herbs to taste. I also added some rice wine, which was very random. :p
4. Last but not least, add in the some roasted almond slices (I roasted the almond in my mum's toaster oven) and stir evenly.
For the stuffed chicken breast:
1. Simply lay the chicken on a chopping board or plate.
2. Lay good amount of the stuffing over it.
3. Sprinkle some Mozzarella cheese over it.4. Carefully roll the chicken breast and clip it up with toothpicks.5. Wrap them up with aluminum foil to further mold them into rolls.
6. If you have a real oven, just dump them into the oven. But if you are like me cooking in Mamo's simple kitchen, steam them all in a wok for about 10 minutes to make sure the chicken are cooked.7. Then take them out of the aluminum foil and dump them into the toaster oven just to sort of grill them a bit. It is done once the chicken turn golden brown.
Now for the side dish (vegetables couscous)
1. Simmer some onion over some generous amount of melted butter.
2. Add in the chopped zucchini and halved cherry tomatoes.
3. Add in water enough to cook the couscous, something less than what you use to cook rice. Add salt to taste.4. Let the water boil and add in the couscous. Stir until couscous are well-cooked.5. Add in some black raisins and you are done!
And for the gravy:
1. In a pot, simply melt some butter.
2. Then add in some curry leaves. Simmer till you can really smell the curry leaves burning.3. Add in evaporated milk (we commonly use Ideal Milk) and stir over medium fire.4. Add in some salt to taste and you are done!
I then put some couscous on the plate, cut the chicken roll into half and placed them in front of the couscous, and carefully pour the gravy on the plate to make it a fine-dining-wannabe dish!That's Chef Shirlexia doing the plating!!!
Fine-dining at home~! My Stuffed Chicken served with vegetables Couscous and Special Garvy!
I love the extra crunchiness from the almond in the stuffing which made the stuffed chicken tasted much more interesting. But I would add in more cheese if there is a next time. As for the chicken breast, it was still a bit too dry. Perhaps like what Mamo and Ducum suggested, I should try using chicken chop in stead. The gravy was good, tasted a bit like curry butter milk. But it should be slightly thicker. Maybe next time I should add in some cornflour or beat it up with a whisk to make it thicker. I give the dish 7/10. So much more rooms for improvements!
Papo, Mamo and Vivian enjoying my cooking! :)
I know it sounds and looks like a pain to cook up this dish but honestly, it wasn't that hard. You see, you dump the chicken into the oven and let the oven does its job. You cook the stuffing, couscous and gravy in probably less than 5 minutes each. All you need is the passion and love to make it a perfect dish for the ones you love! :)

*Special thanks to Mamo who bought the chicken from the market and Vivian who helped to cut the ingredients and take pictures when I was cooking.

No comments: